Skip Nav

General Certificate of Secondary Education

Featured Courses

❶What happens if I am dissatisfied with my results? Department of Education data shows that the relative performance gap between girls and boys widened significantly under GCSEs, compared with O-Levels.

Navigation menu

You may also like...
Student Advice
Search form

Both systems can gain you entrance to universities world-wide. For example, you might need UCAS tariff points to gain entry to a particular course. If you selected course needs , you are short of this figure. In order to gain more tariff points, you could do a GCE A-level subject or two.

International A-levels do not carry tariff points but universities will tell you what grades they expect. It awards points to each grade in a variety of recognised, publicly examined qualifications from around the world. Accumulation of a points total determines the courses to which you can apply. See the UCAS site for full details. Note that only GCE A-levels carry tariff points. You can contact the exam board directly through the internet.

Edexcel exam papers can be purchased through ITS. You can find out the current fees, or check for the availability of a class here. If you need a predicted grade or help with a UCAS application, it can be arranged. Make an appointment to discuss this. If you have paid your exam fee and then you decide to withdraw and want a refund, it will depend on whether the Edexcel date has already passed.

This can be checked by emailing your exam centre. If you want to withdraw once the date has passed, you can but there will be no refund on exam fees.

Finally, you may withdraw after the exam, but again, without refund. Generally you can get your exam paper back. However there is a fee for this type of post-results service. Contact the exam board and they will help you to obtain another one. There will be a fee for this. If you have documentation to support that you would be disadvantaged in some way without it, extra help, usually in the form of more time or possibly the use of a computer, might be possible.

You should submit any medical or other reports of this nature to the exam centre administration office well in advance of the exam session. If it is really through no fault of yours, your enrolment can be transferred to the next exam session with no additional exam fee.

It may be possible to apply for some form of special consideration but this is unlikely to help you much in the case of a whole exam being missed. Cashing-in is the mechanism for generating a certificate. Instead, the units will stay in your account. If you want a certificate to be generated, the cash-in must be applied for. A good place to start is the UCAS website at www. There are a number of education fairs held in Hong Kong each year and a lot of the UK universities attend.

ITS provides extensive advice, counseling and support on the entire university application process from choosing a course to submitting the application. Have a look at our UCAS information pages here and here. When you are ready contact us. Universities will probably have additional admission requirements but the qualification is usually accepted quite widely. Edexcel qualifications can be searched here. It is up to each school to decide on your entrance requirements so make sure to ask each school that you apply to what you need to submit.

It is unlikely that you can apply successfully with A-levels alone. Different centres open for registration at different times.

Contact your exam centre well in advance. The registration date is generally several months before the exam session you are interested in. Contact your exam centre well in advance to check for the date as missing it can produce a late fee. You need to contact an exam centre. Generally you will need to make an appointment and attend an interview, just to make sure that your choices are correct. They are not obliged to and more popular destinations are unlikely to.

If you miss your target grades you will enter a process at UCAS called "clearing". This is designed to match unfilled courses to students with acceptable qualifications. If, after this process, you do not have a course and you still wish to pursue one you will have to reapply anyway and retakes may well be part of this strategy. This is a new exam marked separately. Taking a refresher course with ITS would be a good way to improve your chances at getting a better grade. Not if you are retaking a unit with the same exam board.

You can retake any unit you want. The board will take your best result for that unit and that is the mark that will be considered for an award. You will receive the best mark of the unit or units being retaken.

As long as your exam centre applies again for the appropriate cash-in, a new certificate will be generated if you qualify for an award. There are many educational opportunities for students of different ages and levels in the United Kingdom.

In the UK, including England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, it is possible to access a large number of independent schools which take students from international locations and of all school ages. In order to find one that is suitable for you, look at the frequently asked questions which include links to information about the education system in the UK.

ITS has many years experience sending students to UK schools. You can also contact our UK education consultants for specific information. The UK has compulsory education for all students between the ages of 5 and Children usually begin primary school at five years old and generally move to secondary school when they turn eleven.

There are national exams known as Standard Assessment Tests SATs which can independently assess both students and schools against the national standard for subjects. There are schools which are funded by the government state-funded schools and schools which are privately- funded known as private or independent or public schools. Students who attend a state-funded school receive their education free of charge. In privately-funded schools, students pay fees and are usually selected through an entrance test and sometimes an interview.

ITS helps students prepare for school entrance exams and interviews. International students usually attend independent schools, especially those with a high academic success rate which helps them move on to a place at a UK university when their schooling is completed.

The excellent education offered by many independent schools, and the strong English speaking environment offers a student many opportunities both at school and in the future.

Many independent schools are also boarding schools and charge for both the tuition and boarding they provide students. Until the end of compulsory education there are three main compulsory subjects — Maths, English and Science. However, there are also foundation subjects and students also study these or many of them.

There are also sometimes subjects such as religious studies. A-level students usually have free choice over the subjects they wish to study, although it is also important to bear in mind any pre-requisite subjects required for your target university course.

It is common for students to take between 5 and 10 subjects at GCSE level. Once compulsory schooling ends, students might go on to take a vocational programme of study, such as the GNVQs General National Vocational Qualifications or the A-levels if they hope to apply to university later. There are of course a range of other qualifications which students might take and which articulate with a number of higher education pathways.

As there can be a lot of competition for school places, especially at top Independent schools, it is common to be asked to sit an entrance test. There is also sometimes an interview. As the new academic year begins in September, it is a good idea to start your preparations one year before you intend to go. Many entrance tests are held in November, although it is possible to secure a place later than that.

Contact Us using the form below or you can also visit our contact us page. What is the difference between Edexcel International Examinations and Cambridge? What is the difference between online learning and distance learning? How many times per year are the exams offered? When are the exams offered? When is the enrollment deadline? How much does it cost? When do the results come out? What happens if I am dissatisfied with my results? Can I get my exam paper back?

I have lost my certificate what can I do? The exam board can help you. They will charge for a replacement certificate. Can I get extra time on my examinations? What happens if I miss my exam through no fault of my own? When should I register? What is the registration closing date?

How do I register as a private candidate? Can I register for some exams with ITS as a private candidate? Can I complete my A-levels through distance learning? Which A-level subjects can I take online? What do A-level, AS and A2 mean? Can I retake an exam if I am unhappy with my mark? How much is the exam fee? Can I enrol through multiple exam centres?

Do universities accept an A-level in Chinese? How do the A-levels compare to the IB? Where can I purchase past exam papers in Hong Kong? Can ITS schools give a predicted grade for my university application? What can I do if I lose my certificate? This is a huge advantage, as it means that over your period of study you will build up a relationship and work together to ensure that your support suits your individual requirements and gives you the best possible preparation for your exam.

All our courses include dedicated tutor support via telephone and email. All OOL tutors are fully qualified experienced teachers who work from home and are able to offer flexible contact times, including evenings and weekends. Indeed some still teach part-time in schools, while others are AQA examiners and markers, so they are fully aware of the needs of our students.

It is important to establish when would be good contact times for both you and the tutor. If you are studying outside the UK, for example, you might be in a different time zone, and so will need to be very clear about mutually convenient contact times. Bear in mind that you will need to pay additional postage and packing fees for sending course materials outside of the UK. Unless you have a UK bank account to set up a standing order your fee must be paid in full before the start of your course.

You may need to sit more than one exam paper, and these may be on different days. IGCSEs can be taken at test centres worldwide. GCSE Psychology The study of Psychology offers the opportunity to gain insights about yourself and others in ways which are applicable to everyday situations View Course. GCSE Maths Mathematics is the universal language, everyone needs to speak it and employers quite rightly expect it. When can I begin studying? These deadlines fluctuate slightly each year but remain roughly the same: Do I need qualifications to study with Oxford Open Learning?

What tutor support will I get? Can I study from abroad?

Subjects with NEA (Coursework)

Main Topics

Privacy Policy

The General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) is a qualification which students sit at the age of Most students are entered for subjects at GCSE although there are some schools where individual entries number 12 or 13 subjects.

Privacy FAQs

Qualification redevelopment. Our GCSE Geography provision has been redeveloped for first teaching in September We will be focussing our resources and support into .

About Our Ads

GCSE COASTS VOCABULARY. Abrasion: wearing away of cliffs by sediment flung by breaking Corrasion.. Angle of Dip: the angle of the bedding planes which affects the shape of the cliff. If the rock layers are horizontal, small overhangs of more resistant rock form in the cliff face. Essay Writing Guide. Learn the art of brilliant essay writing with help from our teachers. Learn more.

Cookie Info

Geography vocabulary and glossary: manufacturing and industry. GCSE Industry Glossary. [email protected]: a high-tech zone located on a brownfield site in Barcelona. Agglomeration: a group of industries in the same location.. Agglomeration Economies: savings which arise from the concentration of industries in urban areas and their location close to linked activities. e.g. I received a number of requests for a list of case studies that we have used in our Geography studies so far. By clicking on the blue tab below, you can access a sheet where they are all listed up to the end of Unit 2 - Natural Environments.